Jewish women used to sit around in coffee klatches sharing everything from family to refrigerators, feminism to free market economies. But those days of sharing have changed. We’re still drinking coffee, only now, we’re at our computers sipping our java and writing our stories.
The Jewish Women’s Theatre, responding to this societal shift, is creating a “Culture Klatch” — a gathering of women in homes to listen to new stories and share thoughts. And oh, drink coffee and eat dessert, too!
Be a part of this culture klatch by submitting your play, monologue, poem, essay, story, song, etc. to the Jewish Women’s Theatre. Material will be read in the JWT signature Salon Theatre with a professional cast.
Okay, you’re Jewish, that’s a good start, but how “Jewish” do you have to write? When submitting material, consider the following parameters for your submission:
- Please check the themes of the season below and submit accordingly.
- An element of Jewish resonance is important, but your submission does not need to feature being Jewish as the prominent theme or subject.
- Feature women or a woman’s point of view, but not exclusively. Male characters are welcome.
- Short one-acts (10 minutes max) and monologues (7 minutes max) are preferred. Will read full-length, but unlikely will produce.
- Must be topical for the 21st century. While we consider plays set in another time period, we mostly select contemporary pieces.
- Small cast a must. One-person shows okay.
- Previously produced or published work is welcome. Please include production and/or publication history. A new version of a classic or an adaptation from another medium would definitely be of interest.
Although the primary focus of the JWT is on the writing, music is often a part of our events. We encourage composers, song-writers, and performers to submit individual work. Musicals are welcome.
Themes for the 2012/2013 At-Homes Salon Theatre Season
Please adhere to the themes for this season when submitting work. Please submit before the deadline.
EVENING 1: THE ART OF FORGIVENESS
Is there an art to forgiveness? Jewish women reveal their secrets to forgiving. But do they ever forget? Find out in this moving and thought-provoking show about what it means to truly forgive.
Performance Dates: January 28, 29, 30 and 31, 7:30 PM
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: December 1, 2012
EVENING 2: GOD PLANS, AND WOMAN LAUGHS
A World Premiere
No matter how many plans are made, life is unpredictable. This evening of new material explores the often surprising outcomes to our hopes, dreams, and private wishes.
Performance Dates: March 18, 19, 20, and 21, 7:30 PM
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: February 1, 2013
EVENING 3: OH, MOTHER!
Jewish women are setting the record straight about Jewish mothers. And there is nothing cliche about it! Don’t miss this “must see” Mother’s Day show.
Performance Dates: May 20, 21, 22, and 23, 7:30 PM
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: April 1, 2013
Submit Your Material
Please email a cover letter with a brief bio, history of the material, if there is one, and an attachment of your piece in one of the following formats: Final Draft, Word Document or PDF.
Email materials to: literarymanager [at] jewishwomenstheatre [dot] org